Thursday, July 24, 2014

Of sandwiches, services, and second chances

I made sandwiches this afternoon.

I don't work for a "that's not my job" agency. When there's a challenge, a deadline, people out sick or a big project, everybody pitches in. None of that "I'm the boss, so I don't carry boxes." Somebody needs a hand, I have two.

Today was the first day of CCJ's partnership with U.S.Vets. U.S.Vets exists to help homeless vets get back on their feet, employed and self-sufficient. CCJ exists to help all people get back on their feet and self-sufficient. U.S.Vets moved off the VA campus today. Its 56 vets need to eat. My agency cooks and feeds people. It's a great partnership. If all goes well, our agencies will partner on something bigger. A culinary training program to give our participants job skills.

But back to the sandwiches -- part of tomorrow's lunches for the vets who have found employment. Ham and cheese and lettuce on bagels. A side of applesauce and some juice. I imagined the veterans who open those bags tomorrow, somewhere at a workplace. I doubt they are thinking about who made their sandwiches, but I'm thinking about who will eat them as I assemble them.

One of my staff took over tonight's dinner. Spaghetti and meatballs, salad and fresh bread. A hot, tasty meal in a new location. Each veteran is already making huge adjustments. First, from whatever military service assignment (and possible trauma) to civilian life. From homeless to a program. From one location to another. From scraping out a living to case management and job search. From unemployed to a job. And hopefully, from this program to their own apartment and a long-term working situation.

A few vets have been at CCJ before. If they are homeless and ready for change, we try to hook them up with U.S.Vets. It is a very narrowly focused program where ours is a broad net. We accept people where they are and provide for many of their basic needs. And without pressure, we offer them the chance to move to self-sufficiency. Food. Hygiene. Resources and access to other programs. Clothing. Mentorship.

Some days I think our staff and volunteers may as well be case managers. While they feed people, they are so observant. Who is here, and who is not? Do people seem to be their normal selves? Emotional, physical, mental health checks. Our regulars and even some who are new find that the staff care enough to ask basic questions. What can we help you with? What would you like to eat today? Is everything OK?

I finish bagging the sandwiches, pack the other items and fold the tops. Twenty bags, ready for tomorrow's lunches. I know the vets have someone who is asking them these questions, and that makes a difference. They have a place to sleep, a roof over their heads, and a chance to regroup and start again.

And tomorrow, each one has a sandwich.

No comments: