Monday, July 14, 2014

He who has the most friends wins, sort of

Isn't technology wonderful? Two decades ago, the Internet was just catching on. A decade ago, we started thinking about connections through social media. And today, there are dozens of possibilities. Who knows what the next, best thing will be? I have to remember if my staff text, Facebook, Tweet, or just email.

Two decades ago, that first paragraph would have been unintelligible. And maybe two decades hence, it will be archaic.

So, my Facebook (FB) is a web that connects me and my 200 or so closest friends. Sort of. I'm pretty sure that only about half of those pay any attention to me at all. And probably only a handful connect daily. Today I received a new friend request from a name that I couldn't place. Before deleting the request, I opened the profile and found a long-lost distant cousin. Interesting. Nary a Christmas card, a phone call in 20 years. But today, we are connected through FB.

Facebook, to me, is a place I can be myself. So I post comments, pictures, thoughts, quotes and news that represents me. Not the me I was 30 years ago. So I was not surprised to see a relative take umbrage to my progressive Christian comments. Without saying it, it became obvious that he didn't like my positions. So, all of a sudden, he announces he's starting a "debate."

If he's baiting me, I'm not playing.

Most of my friends agree with my position.

Most of his friends don't.

Debating him on his FB page pits me against all of his like-minded Christian conservative friends. His FB is loaded with them. And why should I toss myself into that fray? If I win, lose or draw, I'm not changing my opinion. So I punted. I'm drained and I'm busy. I don't want to play. He can debate the wind.

Besides, I'd rather spend my energy in action. "Go, therefore." Not "Debate, therefore."

No comments: